Friday, October 12, 2012

Wantan Mee Soup (Dumpling Noodle Soup)

According to my grandmama, my mum hated Wantan Mee when she was young but that changed after she was conceived me. She needed her Wantan Mee fix everyday.. or I should say it was me that needed that wantan mee fix! I do remember I grew up liking wantan mee. So, few days ago, I made myself a simple bowl of wantan mee soup for myself and my husband. Since my husband is not a big fan of pork, I replaced the pork fillings with chicken and shrimps. I hope you will enjoy the recipe




2 serving
Ingredients for the dumplings
1 skinless chicken breast (minced)
10 medium shrimps (peeled and minced)
2 tbsp of minced carrot
2 tbsp of minced onion
1 tsp of minced garlic
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1tsp sesame oil
dash of white pepper
about 20 wantan wrapper
Water to glue the wrapper

Ingredients for the broth
5 cups of water
2 tsp of chicken stock
3 tsp of oyster sauce
2 tsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tsp dark soy sauce
dash of white pepper
sugar and salt to taste

Other Ingredients
2 bundles of egg noodle (follow the instruction at the package)
A bunch of bok choy

Condiment
Pickled green chilies or sambal

Methods

  1. Mix all the ingredients for the dumpling except the water and the wrapper. Mix well and set aside for 20 minutes.
  2. Fold the dumplings in anyway you like. You can choose the style and the steps here. I choose the last style. Hong Kong Style. (I use water to glue the wantan wrapper together instead of using egg)
  3. Cook the egg noodle as per the instruction of the package and set aside.
  4. Heat up 5 cups of water in the pot and add in all the ingredients for the broth except white pepper, sugar and salt. 
  5. When the broth is boiling, add in the bok choy so that it can cook. Add in the dumplings and let it cook by itself about 10 to 15 minutes. Occasionally move the dumplings around so that it doesn't stick at the bottom of your pot. (This will rarely happen if the broth is boiling viciously and enough broth to cover all.)
  6. Remove the bok choy once it is cook and set aside. If you want the bok choy to be softer, then let it cook longer.
  7. Add in dash of pepper, salt and sugar for taste if needed. You can add in another teaspoon of oyster sauce if you want the flavour to be stronger.
  8. Arrange cooked egg noodle in the bowl. Pour in some dumplings, bok choy and broth.
  9. Ready to serve. With or without the condiment

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...