Monday, June 24, 2013

Braised Rice (Man Fan)

When I was leaving in Kuala Lumpur, I enjoy this dish that we can easily get in the chinese restaurant called 'Man Fan'. It's literary means Braised Rice. Since I won't be able to find this dish in US, I decided to try to make it myself. In terms of taste, it's not really the same as the ones in Malaysia but it is close enough. This is because, I put in more seafood in it. It's still very hearty and I hope you will enjoy making it.

Ingredients
1 cup of cooked rice
3 tbsp of oil
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 carrot (peeled and cut it into 2 inch length strips)
1/2 chicken breast (sliced)
10 to 12 medium size shrimps (peeled and deveined) or seafood of your choice
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of sweet soy sauce
2 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tbsp of chicken stock
1/2 cup of water
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 tbsp of cornstarch mix with 2 tbps of water
a pinch of white pepper
salt  to taste

Methods

  1. Heat up oil on the hot wok. Add in garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.
  2. Add in carrots, chicken, shrimps or seafood of your choice and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
  3. Add in water and bring to boil for 5 minutes. Add in chicken stock, soy sauce, sweet soy sauce and oyster sauce and let it boil for another 10 minutes in low to medium heat.
  4. Add in cornstarch mixture slowly and stir the sauce at the same time.
  5. Add in pinch of pepper and salt to taste.
  6. Lastly, slowly add in beaten egg and continuously stirring the thicken sauce at the same time.
  7. Let it boil for another 2 to 3 minutes.
  8. Serve it with rice.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, always liked Mun fun, so I tried it today. I used beef instade of chicken. It turned out well for the first time trying. Had to, wife visiting her sis with daughter, I'm home alone, and too lazy to go out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...